A little about everything

From here to mommyhood was conceived while I was pregnant with my daughter, Hadley. Since Im still getting a hang of 'mommyhood' and all other things that go along with it, why not have a few laughs and how-to's along the way?

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Kitchen Makeover!

Good Morning readers! I apologized I haven't blogged here in a few days, last week was beyond hectic     freaking crazy in our house. We had everything from doctors appointments to prepping for Mother's Day (don't even get me started on how horrid my Mother's Day was), and at some point in there J and I decided that we would have this brilliant idea to put in a new backsplash in our kitchen. Yep, we are crazy.

In our crazy ways on Wednesday afternoon we decided that we would install these. Now, per the website, the box and the guy at Lowe's, these were supposed to be self stick. WRONG. They were sticky enough to hold them on the walls for a max of 6 hours, then in the wee hours of the morning you'd hear metal tiles hitting our hardwood floor. Not only was this frustrating because we had spent our max of three hours (per Aspect, this backsplash should only take three hours) doing a backsplash that wasn't going to stick forever, but also frustrating because J's only day off last week was Wednesday, leaving me to do the work of two people. So, on Thursday, H and I trucked our way to Home Depot in search of some glue. I came up with this, which is worth its weight in gold. Once you apply four pea sized drops of Loctite, your tiles won't go anywhere. I was able to make significant progress while J was at work on Thursday. See?


Before and in progress.

Now, I had to stop right after this photo due to the cuts that needed to be made on the tile. Originally we were cutting them with a Dremel and a cutting blade but, it wasn't producing the clean results we really desired. So on Sunday (Mother's Day) J decided to go buy a saw. He managed to come home with this one, I like it because of its Dr. Evil style laser beam, he likes it because of how easy it glides through metal tiles. While I was at my mom's house for Mother's day he managed to complete the backsplash (which was all of 10 tiles needing to be cut with the saw).





The final product!


There were some pro's and con's to using the Aspect Metal tiles, We will start with the Pro's
1. Cheaper than having a professional come in and do them (our final cost was around $450, not including the saw)
2. Easy to use
3. Very clean and easy to keep clean
4. There is a magnitude of colors and finishes to choose from 
5. No grout needed

Con's:
1. You really need to have a saw to cut them
2. They need to be cut exactly or else the tiles don't fit together well
3. Anticipate a full day (like 9-6) to install a full kitchen
4. The plastic protector sheet on the front of the tiles doesn't come off easy


Until next time! 
A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment