A little about everything

From here to mommyhood was conceived while I was pregnant with my daughter, Hadley. Since Im still getting a hang of 'mommyhood' and all other things that go along with it, why not have a few laughs and how-to's along the way?

Monday, November 11, 2013

The dreaded Christmas Shopping

Good evening friends, I apologize I've been MIA lately - life has been well, busy.

        Anyway, we all know that Thanksgiving is 16 days away (uhm, WHAT?!). Yep, seriously, go look at your calendar then take five before you even attempt to pick your jaw up off the floor. With Thanksgiving being so close, that means Christmas shopping is close. Now, if you're like me (in previous years) I waited until AFTER National Stuff Yourself Until You Vomit Day. This year I vowed to change that, I was tired of seeing such large sums of money leave our bank account at one time. With that, I will share that I managed to get $190 worth of toys (just toys) for... wait for it.... $62. No, they weren't used, damaged, broken, etc. they were hot off the shelf of my local Tar-J. So friends, Im here to share with you some great ways to save money this holiday season and keep your sanity.


Lets start with the basics: 
 - MOST stores will price match, do your research (yes, this seems time consuming but, is it worth it to save $130 on gifts?). For instance; Target listed the Fisher-Price Little People Princess Klip-Klop Stable for $39.99 online and in stores. Amazon was running a special for $29.99 with free shipping. Since I knew I had to go to Target anyway, I printed the listing from Amazon and at the completion of my shopping, I went to Guest Services instead of the cashier and asked for a price adjustment. But, AB, Thats only a $10 savings - where did the rest of your $120 savings come from? Don't get your britches in a bunch faithful reader, I will share with you.

-Go all Magnum P.I. on manufacturer websites and Facebook Pages. Weird. I know. What I mean by this is - go to the manufacturer website (Like Fisher-Price, Nerf, Hasbro, Playskool, Mattel, Etc.)  or their Facebook page and subscribe to their emails. Manufacturers want you to buy their products so they will do just about anything to get you to buy it. Yes, this includes giving away free money.

-Check the store's website (or phone/tablet app). Target launched this new app called 'Cartwheel' and it gives you deals that aren't listed on their website and it lists hundreds of deals throughout the store and yes, they will accept the coupon on your phone. Also check their website - every week Target releases their 'Weekly Ad'. In this ad it lists all the popular markdowns, and gives you a link (via email) to check out the weekly coupons. This week my local ad had $150 in toy coupons alone. Its a good idea to sign up for emails from a retailer that you plan to frequent during the holiday season as they often release deals via email before they release them to the public and occasionally throw in a nice treat (like Michaels sends me $5/off coupons that aren't in their ads).

-Check your store's coupon policy. I was able to stack a $10 coupon from the FP Facebook page, a $5 coupon from Tar-J and another $5 email coupon to get the Klip-Klop Stable for $9.99 + Tax. Some stores will allow you to stack, others won't. Some won't but depending on the person checking you out they will override all of your coupons so they work.

-Don't make every single purchase on the same day and don't hit the same store twice (see below for this one). This one may seem weird but, allow me to explain; If you are planning a trip to Target - make a list of all the items you need from Target and gather your price lowering powers (see above) and get just the items that you need to purchase from Target on that day. Oh, you're going to JCPenney next week, GREAT! Do the same thing there. It will help alleviate A. The exhaustion many people get from trying to hit 25 stores in one day, B. The shock of seeing that huge chunk of money leave your bank account in one day, C. It will also keep you (and your gifts) safer. I have tinted windows but, whats to stop a thief from watching me put my gifts into my car and follow me to the next store and wait for me to leave so he can take my fresh purchases? It seems like a one in a million chance, but hey, rather safe than sorry.

-STICK TO YOUR LIST. Yep, I said it. Im a habitual offender of not sticking to my list when it comes to Christmas/Holiday shopping. Its just who I am. Im a giver and feel like everybody always deserves more (unless you ask me what I want, I'll tell you nothing and be worse than a three year old at the dentist. I don't feel I deserve anything). Make a list and stick to it. Kids are the hardest people to do this for, trust me, I know. About mid-October I begin making my list and contacting people for their lists, it may seem early but, you may have people that forget, have no clue, or procrastinate and give you their list on November 10th (and if you're following my steps, you should have already made one purchase, or two). Make your list, check it four times, make sure no-one is purchasing the same things as you for your loved ones, divide it up by store, and carry it with you at all times. Still a habitual offender of not sticking to the list? DON'T GO TO THE SAME STORE TWICE. This is where I fail. Every-freaking-year, I fail. Why? Because I end up needing to go to Target, or The Container Store (great spot for stocking stuffers, in case you were curious) once or twice between the time I finish shopping and the time Christmas Day rolls around. Its horrible. Don't do it. You and your bank account will thank me later.

-Its okay to shop Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Seriously. I have four 'BIG' gifts on my list and Im not going to purchase them until I see the Black Friday and Cyber Monday ads. I have printed the lowest advertised price thus far (just in case they don't go lower) and have been watching the Black Friday ads closely and will continue to do so. I recommend you do the same.


Ok, so are you ready to get shopping? Fantastic. Go get your price-match and coupon ON!

Have a great week and a very happy Thanksgiving if I don't talk to y'all between now and then!!

A.B.

P.S. That picture is from last year. I don't put my Christmas tree up until the night of Thanksgiving or the weekend following!

No comments:

Post a Comment